Emily Deschler - Cross Country
Allentown Central Catholic High School - 2017
Gerald Grube III - Football
Notre Dame of Green Pond - 2017
Kelly Gardus - Soccer
Salisbury High School - 2017
Zach Petiet - Football
Saucon Valley High School - 2017
Athlete of the Week Official Rules
The Morning Call sports staff each week will select six, three male and three female, top performing varsity student-athlete finalists, who will be eligible to be named Athlete of the Week based on a public vote. Subject to additional criteria to be judged by Coordinated Health, part of Lehigh Valley Health Network, including academic record and nonathletic extracurricular activity, both Athletes of the Week will be eligible for a $500 scholarship to be awarded by Coordinated Health.
- The Athlete of the Week finalists will be from schools in the Lehigh Valley Conference, Colonial League or schools The Morning Call covers in Anthracite League or Bux-Mont area.
- The finalists will be a senior who played a spring sport during the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Finalist eligibility for the Athlete of the Week announcement on Fridays will close 11:59 p.m. Saturdays; finalist eligibility for the next week open 12:00 a.m. Sundays.
- The Morning Call will nominate finalists based on an athlete's performance during the 2018-2019 season. An athlete's performance could include elements such as statistical standouts, game or tournament MVPs, record-setting performances or noteworthy performances.
- Finalists will then be put up for a public vote at https://www.mcall.com/sports/athlete-of-week/
- To be eligible for a scholarship to be awarded by Lehigh Valley Health Network, criteria will include: designation of the Athlete of the Week based on athletic performance, as well as a student's academic record (e.g. Honor Roll status), leadership position(s) and nonathletic extracurricular activities. In addition, a selected athlete must use the scholarship for tuition to attend a college or vocational school after high school on a full-time basis. Scholarships will be paid directly to the educational institution. Scholarship money will be placed in escrow until the student provides written notice of the institution to be paid.
- A student may win the Athlete of the Week title only once, but will be eligible to win the Athlete of the Year designated by Coordinated Health, at the end of the 2019-2020 academic year.
- Coordinated Health will contact the Coach/Athletic Director of the selected athlete. The Coach/Athletic Director will then notify the Athlete of the Week of the scholarship award.
- Children of Coordinated Health and The Morning Call employees are ineligible.